Afterschool & Summer Learning
IBA’s Afterschool and Summer Learning Program is an academic and arts integrated program offered to English Language Learning children in first and second grade.
Our goal is to improve students’ from the Blackstone Innovation School English language and reading skills, to support social and emotional development, to encourage creativity and to prevent learning loss during the summer. Our strong arts component helps our students increase their language skills and self-esteem, and equips them for academic success.
The program engages students through multiple learning models, and offers reading mentorship, arts and homework support, as well as other community activities.
Parent engagement is a priority and includes a culturally competent approach and various events that showcase students’ work and celebrate their successes. Program staff also connects parents with other IBA programs and services, like GED, Job Readiness, and college classes through Bunker Hill Community College, and more community resources.
- Open to Blackstone Innovation School English Language Learners in 1st and 2nd grade.
- October to June, Monday through Friday from 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. with free snack.
- Registration runs from the end of August – mid September.
- Open to English Language Learners who are entering 2nd and 3rd grade in Boston Public Schools in September 2018.
- July to August (for 5 weeks), Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. – 2:45 p.m. with free breakfast and lunch.
- Registration runs April through the end of May 2018.
For more information, please contact Shannon Hayes at (617) 535-1731 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For information specifically about the summer program you can also take a look at our frequently asked questions here.
Have questions? Fill out the form below!